Claypole, St Peters

A brief history

Although the church is now known as St Peter’s, early Church records refer to St Peter’s and St Paul’s and this is the likely original dedication.

There was a church in the village in Saxon times,  probably built from wood.

The Domesday Book, compiled in 1086, during the reign of William the Conqueror, had several entries for Claypole, then called Claipol. It references a church and one priest. The Lord of the Manor in 1086 was recorded as Bishop Odo of Bayeaux

This original church stood for 150 years and was then replaced by a small stone church. Over the subsequent 2 centuries there were three building phases.

Early 13th century
The church comprised the first two tower stages and a small aisle - within the current pillars and as far as the steps to the chancel.

Evidence of the roof line for this phase can be seen on the inside west wall of the tower.

Thereis as a separate Lady Chapel, erected by Thomas de Sacto Laudo, the South Mediety Rector [1234-1316] close by the Church and this was incorporated into the new building. The three sedilia, south wall door and lancet windows,  which are dated 1275 are all found in the modified building dated 50 years later.

Early 14th century
The nave was built, adding the aisles and transepts and another level of the tower , which now houses the clock.

Late 14th Century
A larger Chancel, together with a sacristy were built to replace the existing one. A spire was added to the tower. A south porch was added as well as the nave battlements. The church door is from this phase. The original roofline of the chancel is visible on the east end of the nave.

The wooden screen and baptismal font date from this phase. There are five bells in the tower.

Incumbents
Prior to the eighteenth century the parish comprised two Mediates and there were two priests. The South Rector lived in the home adjacent to the church and the North Rector in Rectory Lane.

Today St Peters is one of a group of parishes in the Claypole Benefice, part of the Loveden Deanery within the Diocese of Lincoln.

 


Printer Printable Version